It’s been a while since our last post - I guess that happens when you’re busy trying to revolutionize the way people share and discover on the web!
Anyways, we wanted to update everyone on some changes that will be happening on sitesimon today as well as some recent additions to the service.
- New Chrome add-on:
We aim to make sharing a seamless part of your browsing experience. With the new Chrome extension, you can add comments and send pages directly to your facebook friends and twitter followers. In fact, sitesimon is the only service (that we know of ;) ) that allows you to send the same message to someone on facebook and another person on twitter simultaneously! Don’t worry Firefox users, we’ll be rolling out a version for you very soon!
- Follower/following model: We’ve listened to user feedback and have made the switch to a follower model. This means that unless someone protects their stream, you can follow their stream (just like on Twitter).
Here’s how we transitioned existing users’ old settings to the new model:
- For those sharing with “everyone”: stream will be set to normal (unprotected). All friends will be converted to followers. User will also follow all friends.
- For those sharing with “just friends”: stream will automatically be protected. All friends will be converted to followers. User will also follow all friends.
- For those sharing with “just me”: stream will automatically be protected. User will follow all existing friends but will have zero followers.
- Privacy settings: We’ve simplified the privacy settings to make it absolutely clear who can view your stream. You can now have either a public stream, which can be viewed by anyone, or a protected stream, which can only be seen by followers you approve.
- Social invites: We’ve upgraded our invite system to work directly with Facebook. You can find and invite your facebook friends straight from the homepage!
We hope these changes make sitesimon more fun and easy to use. We’d love to hear any feedback you have on how to make sitesimon even better. The changes should appear very soon!
demetri (thegreek), justin (justin), paul (paulrat), and steve (steven)